Meet Your Morale Captains: Kali Keegan

5 Kali Keegan (Photo by Brionna Scebbi).jpg

What inspired you to become a Morale Captain?

I knew from the first total reveal I was a part of that I had to be a Morale Captain, which was over two years ago. This was a huge dream of mine. When a miracle child cut off my wristband, and we realized what we did in 24 hours, I knew I had to do something more with this organization. I was lucky enough to get on a Core Committee last year, and I got to experience Dance Marathon all over again with a bigger appreciation because we had put so much work into the event. At the end of ZiggyThon last year, the same miracle child cut off my wristband, and I was crying in disbelief over all the money that we had raised. At this point, I knew I had to apply to be a Morale Captain, and here I am today, living that dream.

What goals do you have for ZiggyThon?

This year, each Morale Captain has set the bar high for fundraising. We are each trying to raise $1,600 in honor of one of our miracle children, Kalie, who passed away just a few short months ago. She was only 16, so we are trying to raise $100 for each year of her life. Beyond this, however, I am trying to get as many people involved in Dance Marathon as possible. This organization has forever changed my life in so many ways, and I want to be able to share why I do Dance Marathon with as many people as possible and maybe, just maybe, those people will find their “why” as well.

What are you most excited about for this year’s Dance Marathon program?

I am most excited about getting to share my Dance Marathon experience this year with my sibs. I have never met a more passionate and supportive group of people in my life. We are all so determined to raise the most money possible and to spread all of the love that we have for Dance Marathon. Some may say we are very “extra,” but that’s only because we are so excited to get people involved and make miracles.

What would you like to say to someone who is interested in joining ZiggyThon or helping this cause?

If you are interested in Dance Marathon or just want more information, please feel free to contact me, slide in the DMs, message me on Canvas, whatever works for you! I would love to share my “Why I DM” with you. We are also selling bracelets in honor of Kalie for only $2. And all of that money goes right back to Children’s Mercy Network Hospital!