USG senators wait for decision on proposed grading scale

The possibility of a plus/minus grading scale at the University came up once again at Undergraduate Student Government, but the senators did not have much to add to the conversation.

“I know we’re all pretty much at our saturation point with discussing that,” USG Speaker of the Senate Hannah Barnes said. The grading scale has been a point of contention in all USG meetings since it became a possibility in October.

Rodney Rogers, the University provost and senior vice president for academic affairs, joined the senators Nov. 27 and spoke more about the grading scale and the J-term starting next fall semester.

An update on the plus/minus grading scale:

• The grading scale proposal must first go through the Academic Affairs Committee, the Senate Executive Committee and the Faculty Senate, Rogers said. “I think we’ll know a little bit more in the next week or two,” he said.
  • Rogers’ opinion as a representative of the University remains unchanged in one aspect – he said the University’s current grading scale is historic and needs to match most other Ohio universities. “All the large publics in Ohio have a plus/minus grading scale,” he said. “This is more aligned with what most other publics in Ohio use.”

For more information about the J-term after fall semester 2018:

• Financial aid for the three-week term will be modeled after the summer semester, Rogers said.
  • “The drop/add period (for classes) is very short,” he said.
  • Classes during the term will take up most of the morning almost every day for the three weeks stay, he added.
  • A meal plan and housing options will be available for students, Rogers and USG adviser Jodi Webb said. They said the details are still being ironed out, however.