Tobacco-free campus, the golf course and USG’s reactions

The topic of becoming a tobacco-free campus was again brought in front of Undergraduate Student Government, but among the words of the senators who spoke so far was a clear, shared opinion: absolutely not.

Faith DeNardo, director of the University’s Wellness Connection, came before USG senators during their meeting Monday, Sept. 11 to speak about getting the campus tobacco free.

If the University were to become a tobacco-free campus, not only would cigarettes be banned from campus, but all other tobacco products would be as well – including chew products and electronic cigarettes.

Some reactions about becoming tobacco free from USG President Richie Racette:

1.“It violates the Constitution,” Racette said. “(It’s) a lot of work for something that is legal for our country.”

2.“The police have been very adamant that they will not support this,” he said.

3.“Think about the faculty and staff and students who do smoke. That just makes their lives, like, awful,” he said.

Racette also shed light on University President Mary Ellen Mazey’s plans for the Forrest Creason Golf Course.

Mazey plans to sell the land of the golf course, “bidding it out to high-tech companies,” Racette said.

USG is meeting with Mazey next week to discuss more about her plans for the golf course and the push to make the University tobacco free.