University offers program unlike any other in Ohio

Mechatronics Engineering Technology is a new major to the University this fall. The program features robotics with hands-on training and is a one-of-its-kind major that is unique to universities in Ohio.

“There are currently 22 students enrolled in the major,” program director, Mohammad Mayyas said. “We teach our students robotics, how to understand the market, how to apply specialized equipment like how robots talk to machines and a capstone project.”

Freshman Ian Kennedy came to the University specifically for this program even though he had an interest in going to another college.

“I looked at a few schools in Ohio, but a lot of them did not offer any robotics programs as a major or as a main program and Bowling Green just started this program,” Kennedy said. “I was originally accepted to the engineering program at the University of Cincinnati, but once I figured out BGSU had this program, I changed my mind and decided to come here.”

Since its development, the program has received grants from the Ohio Department of Higher Education. Mechatronics Enhineering is an up and coming industry that is in need of workers who specialize in robotics. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary of mechatronics engineering technologists ranges from $82k-$95k for those with a bachelor’s degree.

“A lot of students are starting to realize the importance of robotics and the demand that is coming from the industry,” Mayyas said. “We have seen an increase of females in the program which is unique because usually we don’t see that a lot in mechanical engineering.”

Kennedy recognizes the wide variety of career paths that will be available to him after graduation.

“There’s a large amount of job opportunities that robotics can open up for me,” Kennedy said. “I could go into the medical field, the manufacturing industry…in the marines they’re using robotics for safety, research development. There is so much that I could do.”

Maayas says that the Mechatronics Engineering program will include collaborative and hands on work with students which will prepare them for the workforce that is utilizing the tool of robotics every day.

“The hands-on approach attracted me to this program. Being able to go in depth with robotics and learn a lot about not only the engineering aspect but all of the processes that goes into it,” Kennedy said.

Mayyas is confident and excited for this new major and hopes to attract more students as the demand for more skilled persons are needed in robotics.