USG opposes plus/minus grading scale in vote

Undergraduate Student Government made its final stance Dec. 4 on the potential plus/minus grading scale, formally opposing it with a resolution stating USG is not in favor of the change.

The resolution is supposed to send a message to Faculty Senate, Sen. Del-Marcus Goolsby said.

“They are currently finalizing constituent feedback, like, now,” Goolsby said, referring to the academic affairs office, specifically Assistant Vice Provost Andy Alt. This way, “they can take this into account,” he added.

In a survey circulated through social media by the Undergraduate Student Government, 1,190 undergraduate students weighed in on the potential plus/minus grading scale. The results weren’t in the grading scale’s favor.

Over 900 students in the survey opposed the plus/minus grading scale, while about 100 were undecided and about 100 were in favor of it.

Because of the survey’s results, USG overwhelmingly voted for a resolution opposing the grading scale. Only about three to four senators voted against the resolution.

Now, Faculty Senate possibly wants to compromise with the group, USG President Richie Racette said.

He said he had held a meeting with University President Mary Ellen Mazey, where they spoke about the survey results. Instead of focusing on plus/minus letter grades, Mazey proposed a new idea in which professors would be required to record percentages, he said.

As of now, this is just an idea, and nothing has been agreed to or formalized.