BGSU volleyball continues dominant start, sweeps Buffalo

BGSU volleyball 10/3

Falcons volleyball is on a warpath right now, after sweeping Buffalo on Oct. 2 for the second day in a row.

They now have a five-game winning streak, with the last four being conference games.

During this stretch, they have played 16 sets and only lost one, to Arkon on Sept. 25.

Senior Julia Walz said this team still has to prepare for strong opponents like Buffalo.

“We’re going to continue to get better every single day. There’s always room for improvement,” Walz said.

The first set was the closest in the match.

Buffalo limited their mistakes, only committing three attack errors in the set. But the kills didn’t come for them, as they only had 10 kills in the set.

BGSU committed seven attacking errors in the set, but had 17 kills to give them a 25-20 set win.

From that point on, BGSU only had eight attacking errors. Buffalo imploded with 16 attacking errors between the second and third set.

BGSU won the second and third sets 25-18. The Falcons didn’t reach past 17 kills in each set, but found other ways to score.

Outside of Buffalo handing BGSU points, the Falcons had nine total blocks and four aces in the match.

Teamwide, BGSU had 43 kills while Buffalo had 33 kills.

The Bulls finished the game with a .118 hitting percentage, and the Falcons more than doubled them for a .262 percentage.

Sophomore Milla Malik led the Bulls with 11 kills and was the only Bull to finish the match with double-digit kills.

For the Falcons, it was senior Katelyn Meyer’s turn to lead the team in kills with 13. Junior Petra Indrova was close behind with 12 kills.

Redshirt freshman Kat Mandly chipped in nine kills for the team. Head Coach Danijela Tomic said Mandly is still learning to become more consistent, but has shown she is committed to becoming better.

“We love to coach her. She wants to get better, she’s completely bought in. She watches the video with us all the time. The future is bright,” Tomic said.

BGSU will look to extend their hot streak next weekend. On Oct. 8, Northern Illinois visits the Stroh at 6 p.m. EST.

On Oct. 9, Western Michigan is in town with the match starting at 5 p.m. EST. The last time the Broncos were in the Stroh Center was April 3, the day the Falcons beat them to win the MAC conference tournament.