USG talks conservation and food at meeting, keeps tobacco on campus

Nicholas Hennessy, sustainability manager at the University, addressed Undergraduate Student Government this Monday night on the topic of campus sustainability. Among the topics he presented were updates on the University’s Climate Action Plan and Recyclemania 2018.

The University’s Climate Action Plan states that the school will aim to have zero net emmisions by 2040, and the Office of Campus Sustainability has been implementing new sustainability measures across campus to conserve resources while reducing waste. These include upgrading building and parking lot lights to LED lights, establishing pre-consumer composting in partnership with dining services and repurposing extra furniture and other items from buildings through programs like the ReStore reusing service in Kreischer Hall.

The Office of Campus Sustainability is also aiming to educate students on recycling practices this year through RecycleMania 2018. Each year, the University recycling program competes on a national level to recycle the most waste, while holding a similar competition between residence halls on campus. This year, Hennessy wants to help the University learn what to and what not to recycle.

“What we’re doing this year is focusing on getting back to basics,” Hennessy said. “We need to know how to recycle right before we can be fully effective in a contest. That means we don’t want trash and other things that aren’t recyclable being thrown into recycling bins.”

Additionally, Presidents United to Solve Hunger Student Coordinator Tiffany Smith addressed USG on the topic of food insecurity at the University. PUSH is a nationwide initiative that aims to solve hunger on college campuses, signed by former University president Mary Ellen Mazey in 2015.

The initiative at the University is now being renamed BGSU Helping Hunger and aims to raise awareness for and assist students and the community with food insecurity through programs, resources and events. A wellness survey in the spring of 2017 reported that 41 percent of students surveyed were struggling with food insecurity.

Smith provided updates on Falcon Care, a program started by dining services that allows students to donate swipes to assist fellow students. Donations this semester have been slower than usual, and dining services has begun to front swipes.

“This is a program that we really need to promote, because donations don’t start rolling in until the end of the year,” Smith said.

The President’s Leadership Academy will be holding a benefit dinner, as well.

USG additionally discussed:

• A senate resolution supporting the University as a tobacco-free campus. The resolution did not pass on a vote of 8-11.

• USG election meeting information sessions. The locations of the information sessions have changed, and will be held on Feb. 7 and 8 at 7:15 p.m. in BTSU 315, Feb. 12 at 6:45 p.m. in BTSU 315 and Feb. 13 at 7:15 p.m. in BTSU 309.