National politics reflect on Bowling Green vote

Bowling Green and Washington, D.C. are two places different in peoples, cultures and governments, but the politics of the latter will reflect on the former this year, especially before the upcoming midterm elections.

The election on Nov. 6 will not concern the presidency but will affect other issues, including the governor office for Ohio and the state’s open senator and representative offices.

The term of Gov. John Kasich, R-Ohio, will end in January, leaving questions regarding the state’s education department, opioid crisis and healthcare approaches.

Though seven candidates are listed by the Wood County Board of Elections for the gubernatorial race, two are seeing the most debate: Republican Mike DeWine and Democrat Richard Cordray.

A Toledo Blade article said though both campaigns are competing for the same spot with some political ads, both expressed notions of using non-partisan policies.

Cordray said he was specifically looking to reform infrastructure, education, opioid control and the Ohio criminal justice system.

Cordray’s drug control concerns match with similar governments’ problems across the nation. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said more than 130 people died each day to opioid drug overdoses on average for 2016 and 2017, and 11.4 million people misused prescriptions with opioids during that time.

DeWine, on the other hand, looked to improve state testing for rape kits and ensure more government action on issues.

His concern about rape kits comes during a national conversation about sexual assault prosecutions following the confirmation process of Judge Brett Kavanaugh, who was accused of sexually assaulting Christine Blasey Ford.

For students, concerns about governors’ policies focus on funding for higher education, Brandon Willinger of BGSU Votes said.

Willinger also said the candidates’ stances on recreational drug sentencing and the state issue supporting more lenient sentencing are important for student voters.

However, national political controversies are also proving to be a magnet for local voters, he indicated.

“This time,” he said, “whatever side people happen to be on, they’re coming out for the vote.”

The two Ohio candidates are near even in pre-election polling.

Other topics of national interest to Ohioans are the Senate and House of Representatives races.

Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, will remain in office until 2023, but Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, faces re-election. He faces Republican Jim Renacci and write-in candidate Stephen Faris.

Senate seats are important for parties as they can affect legislation decisions in Washington. Republicans hold the current majority there, but Democrats’ desire for a “blue wave” has colored different state representative races — like Virginia’s — through the year, Reuters reports.

However, Reuters also reported less Democrats expect to win back the Senate, as the process requires the Democrats to gain two seats and lose no seats, while more Democrats are facing re-election than Republicans.

The House of Representatives race will be closer, according to Reuters. Although Democrats have to win 23 seats from Republicans, many more congressional districts are in position to switch parties following political changes that occurred since the last election.

“Democrats take control of the House (of Representatives)” after elections, University political science professor Justin Rex predicted. He later clarified saying the result was “Likely but not guaranteed.”

He also said the control of either chamber brought by this result would allow the Democrats to “aggressively” use investigative powers to oppose presidential actions.

Democrat J. Michael Galbraith, Republican Bob Latta and Libertarian Don Kissick vie for one seat in the 5th United States Congressional District.

These issues will see decisions in early November, but others with later due dates are also being worked on.

President Donald Trump is campaigning again in Ohio in Cincinnati-area Lebanon on  Friday. An Associated Press article said he will be talking about low unemployment numbers and improved economic health under his administration to begin building support for his 2020 re-election race. He is also slated to support Republican candidates for federal House and Senate seats at the rally.

Ohio voting registration ends Tuesday, and registration can be done online.