Staying in shape while staying indoors

The holiday season has come and gone, and now comes, most likely, some reason to work out or try and stay in shape. Whether it be part of a New Year’s Resolution or because the holidays are full of great food, fun and some bad eating habits, in many cases. Due to this, finding the best ways to stay in shape is very important. Cedric Bryant, a contributor at health.usnews.com, compiled a list of steps people should take to be healthy in the holidays.

1. Keep moving: “Research shows that getting up for just five minutes every 30 to 60 minutes and performing light activity (say, pacing around the house or performing simple squat exercises) reduces the risk of diabetes and other heart disease risk factors,” said Lance Dalleck, assistant professor of exercise and sport science at Western State Colorado University.

2. Be the person with a plan. Keep hydrated: “Start each day with a game plan, just like a great coach going into a big game,” Nicholas DiNubile, clinical assistant professor of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, said.

3. Make lists, exercise early and sleep: “To alleviate the potential negative impacts of the season, I recommend making sure workouts are in the morning so you don’t get distracted later in the day by parties, events or other holiday hoopla,” Chris Freytag, American Council on Exercise certified personal trainer, health coach and group fitness instructor, said.

4. Expect the unexpected: “While the rain may indeed fall on the just and the unjust, it does not fall on the prepared,” Lee and Beth Jordan, American Council on Exercise certified personal trainers and health coaches, said.

5. Be creative and get rid of “all or nothing” mindsets: “During the holidays, get a bit creative with exercise and opt for fun ways that make physical activity a family affair,” Jessica Matthews, assistant professor of exercise science at Miramar College and American Council on Exercise-certified personal trainer, health coach and group fitness instructor, said.

6. Plan – and remember there is always time and opportunity for a workout: “Plan your workouts for the week and note them in your schedule to assure they are a part of your day,” Pete McCall, American Council on Exercise certified personal trainer, said.

7. Indulge for a night, not a season: “Avoid allowing ‘treats’ to become staples by not letting them linger in the house after the celebration has ended,” Sherry Pagoto, associate professor in the Division of Preventive and Behavioral Medicine at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, said.

8. Remember it’s a single day: “Enjoy the holiday, but don’t let it go from a day of indulgence to a month of indulgence that leads to unwanted habits that continue beyond the holiday season,” Jonathan Ross, American Council on Exercise-certified personal trainer, said.

Brody Hanna, a junior Business major, took some of these steps into account over the holiday season.

“I stay here (at the University) over break, so I would go into the Rec in the morning and work out, play basketball,” he said. “Then when I come home, I would watch what I was eating, instead of just eating everything.”

Overall, there are some easy ways to stay healthy over the holiday season. Staying active, if only for a small amount of time each day, goes a long way towards making that big meal a little less worrying.