Vice & Video: a throwback bar downtown

Main St. Bowling Green has a new bar crawl stop: a speakeasy-like venue called Vice & Video.

Bowling Green is one of America’s top 100 college towns due to the small city’s bustling nightlife. Vice & Video stands out from the other bars downtown, though. The buildings front façade may trick passersby into thinking a 1980s video store opened.

“It gives it a general video store feel. During the day, people walking by might think it’s just a video store,” manager Preston Crawford said.

Its style turns from retro to modern as visitors enter the bar, all while sticking to the “video” part of the bar’s name. Flat screen TVs are mounted on walls to display classic and new music videos, ranging from Tupac’s hits to Nicki Minaj singles. Rather than just playing music over a sound system, all songs are synchronized to music videos on the TVs.

“The overall vibe is different than other bars in BG,” Crawford said.

Besides the unique look of this venue, Vice & Video offers drink selections that are hard to find in Bowling Green. There are several blended margarita flavors available, ranging from classic margaritas to ones with fruity twists. The bar mainly serves tequila, unlike other bars in the area.

A bar also found on Main Street, 149, is connected to Vice & Video. The bars are connected via a doorway, and patrons can pay a single cover charge to enter both bars. Visitors can enjoy the classic bar vibes of 149 and get a new experience at Vice & Video.

[[inline_image_identifier e692eac92b4640f45247857c4ead636e.jpg]]

The speakeasy nature of Vice & Video is evident by their advertising methods – there are no advertisements. The bar doesn’t even have an online presence, it simply relies on people finding out via word-of-mouth.

According to workers, Vice & Video has had a lot of success, even without advertising, after opening on Jan. 11.

“Once the word got out, it was crazy,” door-girl Rebecca Mannion said. “It’s like a speakeasy. The bar is a throwback with all the old videos out front.”

Bar-goers, like Robby Hertzfeld, are pleased with the new venue.

“I frequent 149, which has been really popular lately. It used to be more lowkey, so I’m glad I have a new place to go,” Hertzfeld said. “I prefer how lowkey this place is.”