USG encourages voting

With the absence of Recreation and Wellness director Steve Kampf, the Undergraduate Student Government focused on the progression of the senate for next semester and the end of the year senate nominations.

The nominees for Senator of the Year are: Paige Reinhart-Anex, Amy Poffenberger and Nathan Burkholder, Executive Board Member of the Year: Ebonee Johnson and Keith Johnson and Cabinet of the Year: Amanda Dortch, Quentin McKinnon and Jason Barker.

Senate nominations will be announced at the end of year banquet on April 4.

The elections for the new 2016-2017 senate will be held April 4-9.

President and Vice President Victor Senn and Danielle Parker encourage students to vote regardless of the lack of diversity in the race.

“If this isn’t going to be a contested election, let’s dig in and really focus on what issues we want on campus,” said Parker.

Parker also said that voting is a fundamental right available to every student, and they should be utilizing it whenever they can be.

“The nature of voting in general is important,” she said.

Senn agreed that voting, whether it be in USG or in the general primaries starts a conversation about your current political situation.

Senn said that everyone wants a voice regardless of “what gender you identify with or your economic status.”

“This is your opportunity to be heard, especially in a student organization,” he said.

When asked about their current administration coming to an end, Parker called it “bittersweet” to be leaving the office.

Senn said for future leaders on campus to find the people that will support and uphold them throughout the entire time that they are in leadership.

“Never forget that you’re not alone,” he said.

The administration also reiterated the importance of students voting in the Ohio primaries on March 15.

“As millennials … we just have a different view on things,” said Parker. “Being able to go to primaries sets the tone for the general election.”

Parker also said that she belives that millennials can be the deciding factor.

Those who are registered to vote in Wood County and are unsure where the correct voting places are can visit voterlookup.sos.state.oh.us/voterlookup.aspx or call the Wood County Courthouse at 419-352-9000.