USG updated on academic initiatives

Rodney Rogers, provost and senior vice president, answered seven questions asked by the Undergraduate Student Government last night.

The questions focused on upcoming initiatives, the new eCampus, weekend classes, study abroad, STEM programs, how courses are chosen to be removed and a summary of current initiatives.

Three initiatives were outlined by Rogers: revitalizing the University’s academic portfolio, reimagining the way students and faculty interact in learning spaces and elevating the research activity of the University.

He explained how eCampus is a fully online program which is offered on a different calendar than what on-campus students are used to. He said it is “designed for a new student population who does not have access to the traditional BGSU campus.”

Another way for the University to cater to students’ schedules is through the possibility of adding weekend classes.

Rogers said other universities have implemented them along with early evening classes and they have provided students with more flexibility.

Another topic discussed by Rogers is how courses are chosen to be removed from the University.

Rogers said courses are now analyzed in accordance with House Bill 64 to see how many degrees are granted from each program. Programs with low graduate numbers are identified and the chairs and faculty of those programs work together to see if there is an opportunity to improve curriculum or add additional programing.

“Every program we remove goes through the governance process, which ultimately takes time,” Rogers said.

The final area Rogers spoke on was the current efforts being made by the University to “elevate the quality of academic programs.”

He referenced the construction and renovations to Moseley, University and South Hall and said the improvements being made to these buildings better the University as a whole and set it apart from other universities.

“Makes me smile everyday when I see those fences around those buildings,” Rogers said.

Sue Zwayer, TRIO writing specialist, spoke to USG about TRIO’s student support services. The goal of this program is to retain students with an academic need and help them graduate.

She said the program stands out from other tutoring programs because of its focus on one-on-one service.

Nadia Oehler, cabinet member and director of campus and governmental relations, informed the USG body of a new leadership employment role in relation to the new Greek Housing Project. This position would be a mixture between an RA and programming position, she said.

Those interested in the position can apply online before March 18 at 5 p.m.

Jodi Webb, dean of students, ended the meeting by encouraging students to attend presentations or forums held when candidates for the Vice President of Student Affairs come to campus in mid to late March.

She also said that she had some extra funding that she would like to put towards programing for the weekend after the first week of classes.

This funding would be separate from the Student Budget Committee and would be provided to student organizations so they could hold programming to help get students engaged at the beginning of the year.