City Council praises fire, police divisions

City officials continue to show support and appreciation for the city’s fire and police divisions after a strenuous day for both departments.

Bowling Green diner the Corner Grill caught fire Monday morning.

At Monday night’s city council meeting, Mayor Richard Edwards said while there is never a good time for a fire, the city was very lucky the fire occurred at the time it did for several reasons. Rather than starting in the middle of the night, Corner Grill caught fire just prior to 8 a.m., and the weather was also ideal for treating the fire.

To make the fire more difficult for the fire and police teams, there was an accident on southbound I-75 that had traffic moving slowly, according to the Toledo Blade.

Bowling Green’s fire and police divisions sent units to attend to the crash. With the slow moving traffic on I-75, vehicles were directed through State Route 25, which goes through Bowling Green, right by Corner Grill.

Council member Theresa Charters Gavarone is a co-owner of Mr. Spots. She ran down the street in her socks to get to the scene quickly.

“I can’t say enough good things about the professionalism and the prompt response that we saw from our police and our fire chiefs,” Gavarone said. “They took control and they defused the whole situation.”

The fire division also had a higher than usual number of emergency runs Monday.

“I would also like to join in thanking both the chiefs and the men who work under them,” council member Sandy Rowland said.