SICSIC Sez: 70 years of secrets continue

SICSIC has been a part of University life since 1946 when it was created to boost school spirit and good will after World War II.

It’s not likely to find Al Gore, the Grinch, Captain Planet, Groot, Mikey and Scooby walking around at the same time anywhere else in the world besides the University Campus. This Wednesday marks 70 years of SICSIC members scaring freshman, raising spirits and encouraging students.

“SICSIC is so unique here at BGSU,” Mikey said. “There is nothing else like this group anywhere else.”

As the group prepares to celebrate its 70th anniversary, Dr. Jacob Clemens, SICSIC advisor since Spring 2014, said SICSIC has continued to maintain its purpose.

Started in 1946 by University President Frank Prout, SICSIC’s sole purpose was to increase school spirit and goodwill post World War II.

The original group didn’t wear masks, and all their work was done at night, hanging sign reading “SICSIC SEZ” around campus.

“They were truly secretive,” Clemens said.

But the group had to evolve to survive the changes in social media, University rules and other factors, Clemens said.

“While technology and new innovations come and go, the school spirit and love for BGSU will forever be unwavering,” Grinch said.

SICSIC evolved to wearing ski masks and general Halloween masks so they could do things in public, but still weren’t visible in attending games and events, Clemens said. Eventually, the spirit group would evolve to what it is today, wearing a Halloween mask that can never be reused by a future SICSIC member, attending public events and handing out candy to students.

“That’s a very long time for an organization to exist kind of in the nature that it exists—the secrecy,” Clemens said.

The Grinch’s favorite events are the ones that are unplanned or unexpected, such as going to the library during exam week.

“It was great to see the surprise on people’s faces, as well as knowing that we made that stressful time in the year at least a little easier even for just a few minutes,” Grinch said.

Scooby also enjoys the unplanned events.

“This group is full of very spontaneous people, and being able to do random things with them and decide to get in mask and go to random events on campus is such a fun thing. Even if it’s a quick stop at a residence hall on the way back from hanging signs, these kind of things often are the most memorable,” Scooby said.

Picking the next SICSIC members is a secret process, but Clemens assured it is both legal and ethical, and results in picking the best members to serve the University in secret.

He said being a member of the group becomes an extremely meaningful part of the college experience.

“I wanted to be a SICSIC because I saw it as an opportunity to develop myself, impact my community and be a part of something bigger than myself,” Captain Planet said. “SICSIC is one of the most influential parts of my life, and has allowed me to build spirit in a community that I care about so much.”

Clemens spends a lot of time with SICSIC, hosting social events at his home to “create that community where they can be themselves and hang out outside of the mask.” While freshmen are often afraid of SICSIC at first because of how strange it seems, Clemens 1-year-old daughter has no fear of people in masks.

“You have five other best friends that nobody else knows that you’re friends with,” Clemens said. “There’s a lot of care and concern.”

In fact, aside from Clemens and his wife, Dean of Students Jodi Webb, President Mary Ellen Mazey and the members’ parents, no one knows the faces behind the masks until unmasking during February or March of the members’ senior years.

The members of SICSIC agreed that the friendships were part of what made the experience so rewarding.

“The other members of the group truly are my best friends,” Grinch said.

SICSIC members form special relationships with those who don’t know them through events as well. Al Gore’s favorite event to go to in mask is hockey.

“Lots of people are regulars to the games so it’s the best place to see people you build a relationship with in mask,” Gore said.

Over the last 70 years, SICSIC has continued spreading spirit and goodwill to University students.

“We all support the success and happiness of BG. We let people be weird, have fun, and build amazing memories that will help shape their entire college experience,” Groot said.