Camp experiences shape career aspirations

When Stefan Wickli joined the University as a freshman, he was a biology major with a focus in medicine and questions about his future. Four years and three summers working at a camp for the blind later, he’s a Communication Sciences and Disorders major with graduate college aspirations in the up-and-coming field of Recreational Therapy.

Wickli, sitting with a backpack covered in buttons for various social causes in the clock tower area of the Student Union where he likes to study, said his future was not always so uncertain.

Growing up in Willoughby, Ohio, he said he felt pressure from his parents to pursue his initial major choice: biology.

However, after his first class, he knew the career path in front of him was not going to work. It did not fit with his personality as well as he had hoped.

Wickli then switched to a major in high school science education at the start of his first semester. By the end of his freshman year, however, he had again switched to a major for early child education.

Wickli said he enjoyed working with young children. However, the changes to his major did not satisfy him yet; he did not know what kind of career he was trying to find.

That inspiration arrived when he decided to take a summer job working at a camp for the blind and visually impaired.

At Highbrook Lodge, in Chardon, Ohio, children and adults with visual disabilities joined for week-long camp sessions designed to help improve the lives and self-esteems of campers. Wickli said helping to run these sessions was his first extended exposure to the lifestyles that the campers led, and his experiences changed his goals.

Wickli said one summer was enough to convince him to use his career to help those afflicted with disabilities.

Entering his sophomore year, Wickli become a Special Education major. After taking some Speech Disabilities classes, however, he made a more final switch to the communication sciences and disorders major in his junior year.

Though his major did not change again, he shifted the route of his major to focus on patients with terminal illnesses, rather than those with speech disabilities.

Studying these concepts as an undergraduate student, however, is not his end goal.

The senior plans to attend graduate school to study communication disorders at places such as Temple University in Philadelphia or the University of Wisconsin.

After graduate school, Wickli plans to find work in the field of Recreational Therapy, in which therapists use leisure activities to help people with disabilities better enjoy life.

His time at Highbrook Lodge was influential on his major, but also inspired him to use recreation as a tool to help the lives of those with disabilities.

His second and third years working at the camp contributed to this decision, as he achieved more leadership roles that enabled him to plan session activities.

For example, in his second year, he became the camp’s music and drama director. Using themes tied to topics like the Wild West and Irish dancing, he helped campers perform in ways that would otherwise be difficult to accomplish in daily life.

However, Wickli said the sessions were not strictly thematic; they were often built around individual camper’s goals for self-improvement in categories such as spiritual and social wellness.

Wickli said he used music and other activities as a “way for [campers] to feel more happy with themselves.”

He also became the leadership program coordinator in his third, most recent year at the camp and instructed new counselors as part of his job.

The best part of working at the camp last year was being able to help to change the lives of campers, as well as “seeing the transformation in my staff” toward better counselors, Wickli said.

Lauren Streb, fellow communication sciences and disorders major, said she appreciated his work ethic and personality in their shared classes.

She said his “optimistic personality” and ability to overcome stressors made him a reliable student in the department. Streb said he would often give emotional and scholarly help to both her and other students on class projects.

Outside of his major, Wickli has brought his skills to his job at the Kreischer Compton residence hall front desk as its manager.

Krisiten Ronning, BGSU student and desk clerk working under Wickli, said her first words to describe him would be passionate, hardworking and genuine.

Ronning noted Wickli would often bring his experiences from working at Highbrook Lodge into managing the desk, talking about his time there while at work and while planning goals for the desk.

While Wickli acknowledged the path toward his current aspirations was irregular, he was not concerned with the footing.

“Don’t be afraid to change your mind,” he said.