USG passes diversity statement

The Undergraduate Student Government voted on and passed its third piece of legislation Monday night – a diversity statement introduced at last week’s meeting.

Diversity Affairs Chair Bryce Davis read the legislation Monday night before it reached the floor for a vote.

“Bowling Green State University and the Undergraduate Student Government aim to empower and include all student voices,” Davis read. “USG seeks to empower and uplift all students who are affected by systems of oppression.”

Discussion about the resolution included how it would be publicized if it passed and how the University at large might embrace the statement once approved by USG’s advisor and Thomas Gibson of Student Affairs.

“The goal would be to share on all platforms, not only with USG, but also as senators of USG,” Davis said.

The statement passed with 31 votes in favor and four abstentions.

President Amanda Dortch discussed the rising costs of textbooks; a topic discussed by Faculty Senate.

Dortch presented a resolution coming to the floor of the Faculty Senate that would ultimately aim to reduce the cost of textbooks for University students by 2018.

The resolution would create “an ad hoc committee that will recommend an on-going process to achieve the aspirations of a 50 percent reduction in students’ cost of utilizing textbooks,” Dortch said.

Faculty Senate aims to achieve this reduction while maintaining the “highest quality of published information” for students.

“One of the rising costs of obtaining a high-quality university education is the cost of textbooks,” Dortch read.

If passed by the Faculty Senate, the resolution would call for an on-going plan to gather data and reduce textbook costs within 90 days. Reductions in textbook costs would aim to be reached by May of 2018.

Members of USG, agreed that a committee with this goal would be appropriate. The committee, if created, would comprise of faculty, graduate students and undergraduate students.

Dortch also re-introduced the topic of an amnesty policy toward students who seek help during an incident of alcohol or drug abuse. As discussed during lobby time last month, the University, unlike some of its sister schools, does not have an explicit good Samaritan rule for these types of incidents.

She encouraged committees to discuss the potential for a change in the current rules during their respective committee times after Monday’s meeting.

As presented in last week’s meeting by Director of Residence Life Sarah Waters, Harshman Hall will not be available for housing next school year.

“That is 600 beds that will no longer be available,” Dortch said.

Despite a leasing agreement with a local company for four apartment buildings with 190 beds, Residence Life will still face a higher demand than supply next year.

Dortch’s goal is to communicate effectively with the student body about the possibility of returning juniors and seniors being turned away from on-campus housing.

Speaker Nadia Oehler asked for senators to suggest lobby time speakers to come in during USG’s weekly meeting as a way for the organization to ensure representation of students.

Next week, Marcia Salazar-Valentine, from the International Student Services and Study Abroad office, will address USG.