Former falcon ends career at University after 28 years

After 28 years of dedicated work for Bowling Green State University, assistant athletic director for development Jane Myers retired on Aug. 31. 

Myers first started out at Bowling Green as a student in 1983. She remained at the University and worked in the admissions office before she was offered a job to head the Falcon Club.

Head hockey coach Chris Bergeron has felt Myers’ impact in the athletic department. From 2008-2010, there was uncertainty about the hockey program continuing. Bergeron stated that Myers got the necessary connections to keep and build up the hockey program into what it is today.

“The community needed a reminder that hockey does matter,” Bergeron said. “Myers and alumni came together for one collective effort and I’m very grateful.” 

While Myers has had a hand in managing to raise millions of dollars for athletics from generous alumni, where she really has made an impact is the connections she has made. 

Bergeron recalled Jane’s retirement reception earlier this year. The coach was amazed by all who came out to show their support for her.

“Even though I’ve only been here six years, you can see the impact she makes,” Bergeron said. “The range of people that came, not just donors, but past and current staff members (that attended) put her impact in perspective for me.”  

Myers’ absence will truly be missed, but she will still be around campus. She is excited to get to be a spectator at events, something that she hasn’t been able to do for almost three decades.

“I will enjoy being involved at my own pace. I will never not be involved,” Myers said.

Upon leaving, Myers believes that she has left the athletic department in good standing. One of her proudest accomplishments is that the University is able to give out 6.5 million in scholarships to students. 

“(Our) main goal is to educate our athletes and to build them into leaders of tomorrow,” Myers said.

Moving forward, Bowling Green’s head coach for women’s golf, Stephanie Young, is glad to have worked alongside Myers.

“The legacy she’s left makes us who we are,” Young said. “She has poured herself into her work and is extremely selfless.”

Both Bergeron and Young agree that Myers’ contributions to the University has set them up for continued success. Myers is thankful for the fulfilling life that both community and the University has given her and her family.

“I was a student, I have fundraised, and brought up a family,” Myers said. “I have felt a part of this community since 1984. I didn’t know that (Bowling Green) would be a perfect fit. For me, I blossomed where I’ve been planted.” 

The connections Myers has made in almost three decades are very important to her. As she moves on to the next chapter of her life, she hopes that support will continue between college and community. 

“The job may have ended, but the friendships remain,” Myers said.