How the NFL’s new team can take over the league

If you were walking around outside on Tuesday night, you probably heard what sounded like the collective voices of an entire city celebrating with total exuberance. All 3.8 million people in Los Angeles joined in celebrating the return of an NFL franchise, and their smattering of cheers were sprinkled with the groans and tears of fans of the Rams in St. Louis.

But the news broke all the same; the owners around the NFL approved the Rams relocation plan to LA by a vote of 30-2. The plan involves the Rams moving the LA this coming season while breaking ground on a new stadium in 2019, and also gives the San Diego Chargers a one-year option to join the Rams.

With the movement to such a big market, the Rams now have the potential to become one of the more marketable and successful team in the league. Here are some of the steps the Rams must take to conquer the NFL.

First, they need to develop the talent they already have.

The Rams, while a flawed team currently, have some really great pieces in place. Some of the most notable include receiver Tavon Austin, a pint size playmaker who, despite standing only 5-feet-7-inches, is fast enough to score anytime he touches the ball, tackle Greg Robinson, a mountain of a man who was the second overall pick in the 2014 Draft, and defensive end Robert Quinn, a two-time All-Pro selection who specializes in rushing the quarterback.

But there are two players, one on each side of the ball, who hold the potential to be among the best in the NFL at their position: running back Todd Gurley and defensive tackle Aaron Donald.

Gurley took over the NFL this past season as a rookie despite spending the first four games of the season on injured reserve. He racked up 1,106 yards and 10 touchdowns and showed a transcendent ability to take over games similar to that of Adrian Peterson. It’s obvious that Gurley, if he can stay healthy, can rise to Peterson’s level as one of the best backs in NFL history.

Donald, on the other hand, has been discussed in the same vein as J.J. Watt in terms of a disruptive force on the defensive line. Despite not having prototypical size for his position, Donald grades out as a top tier defender against both the pass and run and has racked up 20 sacks through his first two years in the NFL on his way to two Pro Bowl selections.

With Donald on defense and Gurley on offense, the Rams have the potential to have two of the best players in the league in a season or two.

Last, they simply need to rebrand.

This last step involves a few factors, the first of which would be a potential style change for the franchise. While the Rams style may have worked in the city of St. Louis, the city of Los Angeles is far more glamorous and trendy.

While they may not have to change their color scheme, a logo and uniform design change may not be out of the question. Bringing the “Show” back to the Greatest Show on Earth moniker would be a great PR move.

The new stadium will also play a part in the rebranding of the Rams. Team Owner Jeff Kroenke unveiled plans for a $3 billion stadium in Inglewood that will be the largest NFL stadium in square footage. A glass roofed football palace would help to make a strong statement to the rest of the league.

Finally, the Rams last move should be bringing in a veteran quarterback to be the face of the franchise. There are some star names out there that have seemed to be unhappy with their current franchise, and the Rams’ struggles at the position have been a result of poor decision making under center. With this big move, they don’t have the time to draft and develop a rookie quarterback either.

With names like Drew Brees and Philip Rivers potentially on the block with their perspective, looking into a trade would not be a bad idea. If not them, an experienced QB like Josh McCown or Ryan Fitzpatrick may do the trick. Either way, a smart football mind to make decisions would bring the franchise stability after this past seasons combination of Nick Foles and Case Keenum.