City receives $1,182,741 grant for water infrastructure upgrades

The City of Bowling Green is one of 90 projects receiving state grants to address water and wastewater infrastructure projects in Ohio, according to a press release from the state’s Department of Development. In total, 64 counties will receive $135 million.

Bowling Green will receive a $1,182,741 grant to make upgrades to the water treatment plant’s low service pump station to improve water quality. The project will include replacing stationary bar screens and slide gates at the inflow channels, two traveling screens, four raw water vertical turbine pumps, the motor control center, and heating and ventilation equipment. New drives and controls will also be provided to allow remote operation and monitoring. The project will also include general rehabilitation to the pump station structure, including painting, roof replacement and concrete repair. The release indicates the project will benefit 46,578 people.

“Having a strong water infrastructure not only safeguards the health and well-being of our residents, but it makes our neighborhoods more resilient and better prepares local leaders for sustainable economic growth,” Governor Mike DeWine said i the release.

Today’s announcement is the fifth round awarded through the Ohio BUILDS water infrastructure grant program, which opened in July 2021. In total, nearly $500 million has been awarded to 343 infrastructure projects through the program.