November 30, 2023

• Repairing the Family
    By Jay Grummel Earlier this month I wrote about fond families, however the holidays are made up of many different types of families. Some will be hostile and dysfunctional or some will be loving and understanding. Whatever your family looks like this season, it’s always nice to read about ones other than your own. So, […]
  • Review of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
    Let’s time-travel to the year 2012 and the world is raving about none other than Katniss Everdeen. I remember being in elementary school, begging my mother to let me dress up as her for my birthday. Now it’s over ten years later and I’m still just as excited for the new movie as I was […]

Cleveland State WBB Preview: Vikings present tough test to open season

csuvikings.com

In roughly 24 hours, Bowling Green Women’s Basketball hits the floor of the Stroh Center to tip off the 2023-24 campaign under first year head coach Fred Chmiel.

Featuring a schedule chalked full of nationally-accredited blue bloods and the grind of the Mid-American Conference, the Falcons have themselves quite the challenge this season on paper.

But how does that challenge begin? It begins with the Cleveland State Vikings.

A look at the Vikings:

CLEVELAND STATE VIKINGS-

2022-23 Record: (30-5 OVR), (17-3 HORIZON)

Head Coach: Chris Kielsmeier (6th season)

Notable Kielsmeier Facts:

• 96-54 record at CSU and a 512-170 overall record in 23 seasons as a head coach.
  • After ’22-23 season, received contract extension through ’27-28 season
  • One of just two active Horizon League coaches with 500+ wins.
  • Under Kielsmeier, the Vikings have recorded three 20-win seasons, including a program-record 30-win campaign during 2022-23.
  • The only coach in program history to lead CSU to multiple 20+ win seasons

Notable Returnees:

• Destiny Leo (Sr.): The reigning Horizon League Player of the Year averaged 17.9 points per game a season ago, while also leading the Horizon and seventh nationally in free throw percentage (91.1%). Leo also is third all-time in CSU history in three-point field goals (214), and 11th all-time in points (1,433).

• Jordana Reisma (Soph.): Returns as an all-league nominee, and was part of the All-Freshman Horizon League team. Reisma averaged 5.5 points and 3.3 rebounds a game last year for the Vikings, while leading the team in blocks (43).

• Mickayla Perdue (Gr): The transfer from Glenville State and Toledo, Perdue last season averaged 17.7 points per game for the Pioneers, helping lead them to a 33-3 record, as well as an NCAA Division II Final Four appearance. Perdue led D-II in three-point field goals (110), and shot 38% from beyond the arc. Local product as well, as Perdue is an alum of Springfield High School.

Notable Numbers:

• During the 2022-23 campaign, the Vikings set single-season records for points (2,592), free throws made (599), blocks (138), and consecutive wins (16).
  • Took home the 2023 Horizon League championship and made it to the NCAA Tournament, where they fell to the Villanova Wildcats in the first round 76-59.
  • The Vikings, who were playing as the No. 13 seed, earned their highest seed in program history in the NCAA Tournament.