Sharps hits 1,000 points as Falcons earn win over Zips

Morgan+Sharps.
Drake Harlett
Morgan Sharps.

Bowling Green women’s basketball started the week on the road in Akron against the Zips. Entering the the day Bowling Green sat 5th in the conference standings while Akron found themselves in the 8th spot.

The Falcons got out to an early lead in the first quarter and with 55 seconds remaining in the first quarter, Morgan Sharps hit a three-point shot to surpass 1,000 career points at the college level.

Akron was able to cut away at the Bowling Green lead in the second quarter as the Zips shot 6-12 behind the three-point line in the first half. The teams entered the halftime break with the Falcons leading 36-33.

In the third quarter the teams continued to trade baskets while Bowling Green maintained a lead that fluctuated up to as many as ten points. Kyla Smith, Bowling Green’s recent addition from the club basketball team, entered the game with 1.7 seconds remaining in the quarter and logged her first official time on the court at the Division I level.

The game continued to be a tightly contested game down the stretch, but Bowling Green limited Akron to their lowest scoring quarter of the game in the fourth quarter, allowing the Falcons to pick up their 7th Mid-American Conference (MAC) victory of the season by a final score of 74-68.

The Falcons had four players that scored in double figures including Erika Porter, who lead Bowling Green with 22 points and 16 rebounds on the evening.

With the win, Bowling Green is now tied for fourth in the MAC standings with the Buffalo Bulls, whom they will play at the Stroh Center on February 28th.

Next up for the Falcons is a trip to the western horizon of the MAC as they head to DeKalb, Illinois this Saturday to take on the Northern Illinois Huskies. Tip-off is set for 2:00 p.m. EST and you can catch the game live on 88.1 WBGU with pregame starting at 1:45.