Flight team places in top 20 in national competition

The+BGSU+Falcon+Flight+Team+and+their+advisor%2C+Catherine+Smith%2C+at+the+NIFA+SAFECON+awards+banquet+following+the+national+competition.+
BGSU
The BGSU Falcon Flight Team and their advisor, Catherine Smith, at the NIFA SAFECON awards banquet following the national competition.

The BGSU’s Falcon Flight Team placed among the top 20 teams nationally at a recent competition of the country’s top collegiate aviation programs according to a university news release.

The team competed in 14 ground and air events with 31 teams from across the country during the six-day National Intercollegiate Flying Association (NIFA) Safety and Flight Evaluation Conference (SAFECON) competition in Janesville, Wisconsin.

According to the release, the team scored in the top 10 in preflight inspection, crew resource management, aviation maintenance, and message drop, which challenges a pilot and drop master to drop a message container onto two targets during a low pass of the runway at 200 feet above the ground.

“The journey back to competing at the national level has required incredible dedication and perseverance from our student competitors. It paid off this spring, putting the BGSU Falcon Flight Team back on the map for national intercollegiate competition rankings. It was an absolute honor to represent BGSU at that level,” said Catherine Smith, ‘98, ‘08, chief flight instructor at the BG Flight Center and a teaching professor in the School of Aviation.

The Falcon Flight Team is a student organization composed of about 25 students.