BG wellness initiatives recognized for fifth straight year

BGSU
BGSU students are referred to the Student Recreation Center through the Exercise is Medicine On Campus program.

BGSU was named an Exercise is Medicine Gold Campus by the American College of Sports Medicine. The University is one of three in Ohio and 83 worldwide to receive gold-level recognition among the 145 institutions honored globally. It is the fifth straight year the school received the acknowledgement.

“The exciting thing about our program is the collaborative effort across our campus to make it successful,” said Dr. Jessica Kiss, an assistant teaching professor and laboratory coordinator in exercise science and assistant director for graduate education in the School of Applied Human Development.

Exercise is Medicine is part of a global health initiative by the American College of Sports Medicine and American Medical Association to make physical activity assessment and promotion a standard in clinical care.

Brought to colleges and universities, Exercise is Medicine On Campus encourages universities to make movement a daily part of campus culture. The Exercise is Medicine program at BGSU offers physical activity referrals for students and Kiss said  which Kiss said students are referred to the Student Recreation Center through the program. She added the Counseling Center is an active referral partner.

“Physical activity is incredibly beneficial in reducing stress and improving mental health, and research has also linked it to academic success and engagement,” Kiss said. “The Counseling Center has been a wonderful partner in supporting the mission of Exercise is Medicine On Campus.”