Commuting to campus has its pros and cons

For some freshmen, money is the motivating factor for living off campus.

Senior Jacob Lindsay has been commuting to the University since freshman year.

“I decided to commute freshman year because it was significantly cheaper to live off-campus,” Lindsay said. “I wanted to live on my own and depend on myself.”

He lived with his grandparents until sophomore year and then decided to move closer to the University.

“It is nice to go home without checking in like people have to at the dorms,” Lindsay said. “I feel like I have more freedom this way.”

Sophomore Abigail Moylan’s decision to become a commuter was clear-cut her freshman year.

“I love commuting to campus,” Moylan said. “I save a lot of money living at my parents’ house and I don’t have to worry about debt later.”

She lives in Toledo about 30 minutes away from the University, but the time it takes to get to and from the University has some disadvantages, she said.

“It is hard to get involved on campus,” Moylan said. “Trying to get into groups like sororities is a challenge.”

Lindsay has experienced a different challenge being a commuter to the University.

“The weather is bad,” Lindsay said. “It is hard to find a place to park. I have to hope they plowed the streets every morning during the winter.”

Deborah Novak, assistant dean of students, oversees and coordinates off-campus student services. Her job is to insure that communication is open between commuting students and the University and to publicize activities for them to participate in.

“One benefit to being a commuter student is that all the events are available to them are the same as students who live on campus,” Novak said. “However, I often hear that commuter students feel the activities that happen are only for on-campus students.”

Novak also heard from the commuter students that they don’t feel connected with the University.

“Most have a lot of other things going on with their lives they have to balance,” Novak said. “They have pride in overcoming the obstacles to get here, but connecting with the campus is still a hard thing to do.”

Ben Lachowski, a junior, has been a commuter since his freshman year, and he hasn’t had an issue with getting involved. His problems come with parking.

“Worrying about if you can get a spot or not before class is an issue,” Lachowski said. “Staying late is an issue too because you have to leave before 3 a.m. or your car gets towed.”

Lachowski lives in Grand Rapids, Ohio, about 15 minutes away from campus. He lives with his parents and has been able to save money.

“I like not having to worry about the fees that come with living on campus,” Lachowski said. “Along with having the mobility others don’t have, knowing that a home cooked meal is waiting for me at home is the cherry on the cake.”