Basketball starts MAC Tournament against Miami

The Falcons return to the Stroh Center for the last time this season Monday as they take on the Miami University RedHawks in the opening round of the Mid-American Conference tournament.

This marks the second year in a row the Falcons have hosted an opening-round game for the tournament.

This past year, BG was unsuccessful in its opening-round match against the Central Michigan Chippewas, losing 54-53.

BG will look to fare better this year by starting out against the lowest-seeded team in the tournament—Miami.

Miami ended the season with an 8-21 record, including 3-13 in conference play.

Since the RedHawks first visited the Stroh Center in late February, they have lost three-straight games against the top-three teams in the East Division—Kent State, Akron and Ohio.

Miami is currently on a nine-game losing streak, which dates back to the beginning of February when it defeated Central Michigan on Feb. 2.

Miami is seeded No. 11 in the tournament, the lowest seed possible. Northern Illinois finished one spot ahead of the RedHawks despite having a worse overall record.

This year, the Falcons earned the No. 5 seed—due in part to Toledo’s ineligibility because of low grades the past two years.

The top-two seeded teams are Akron and Ohio. Both will get byes in the first three rounds, which will automatically place them in the semifinals.

There are two other games in the opening round of the tournament Monday. The No. 7-seeded Eastern Michigan Eagles will be hosting the No. 10-seeded Northern Illinois Huskies. The winner of that game will play the winner of the BG-Miami game in Cleveland on Wednesday.

The winner of that game will take on the No. 3-seeded Western Michigan Broncos on Thursday.

The ultimate winner of all those games will move on to the semifinal round against the No. 2 Ohio Bobcats.

BG finished the regular season 13-18 (7-9), which is below its 2011-12 record of 16-15 (9-7).

The Falcons will tipoff against the RedHawks Monday at 7 p.m.