Men view selves as more attractive than reality

Junior Tom Gronsky has seen the complex — the idea that some men believe they are more attractive to women than they actually are.

Gronsky has a name for this thought process.

“Some guys have the ‘God’s gift to women’ complex,” Gronsky said. “They have no clue what they actually look like to women when they say things like that.”

Gronsky has personal experience with the complex.

“I have a friend who really thinks he’s the … when it comes to girls,” Gronsky said. “And when he does get turned down, he plays it off like he wasn’t trying or didn’t want her anyways, so he never learns.”

Junior Jon Adams shares similar experiences with Gronsky.

“I have seen it before where guys are overconfident,” Gronsky said with a shake of his head. “Probably a testosterone thing.”

Mike Zickar, chair of the psychology department, said it wouldn’t be surprising for men to tend to be more confident.

“Research shows that in terms of women’s attraction to men, physical appearance is not as important as it is to men,” Zickar said. “With men, physical appearance tends to be the first thing they look for so they project their own bias onto women.”

Zickar does not believe that, on average, woman overestimate how attractive they are like men do.

“I think women tend to have a lower view on how attractive they are than they actually are, the opposite of men,” Zickar said.

Sophomore Livia Raulinaitis disagrees with Zickar.

“Both men and women think that they are hot,” Raulinaitis said. “But a lot of people struggle with how they look too.”

Raulinaitis had personal struggles with her own appearance.

“I have a big nose, so for a long time I thought that made me ugly,” Raulinaitis said. “But college is all about finding a balance and finding that you actually are pretty.”

Raulinaitis believes it is during college when this way of thinking for men and women can arise.

“Most came to college already believing they are hot … ,” Raulinaitis said. “Others come here, find out they are attractive then don’t know how to act with this new information.”

Jessica Ricker, freshman, has had her own taste of interacting with men in college, and finds, like Raulinaitis that both men and women can have inflated views of how attractive they are.

“It depends on the person,” Ricker said. “Men especially like the physical aspect of girls rather than personality.”

She had an example to show this idea.

“When a guy sees a girl walking by, he doesn’t say, ‘Wow, look at that girl’s intelligence,’” Ricker said. “No, the guy is looking at her butt.”