Dylan to play Stroh Center on Sunday

When junior Robert Newman goes to the Stroh Center on Sunday, he will be witnessing University history: a Bob Dylan concert.

Newman purchased his ticket in the beginning of March in the hopes of getting to see the legendary Bob Dylan up close, as his seat will in the third row.

“I feel that because he is so old and is still touring, it’s going to be a great show,” Newman said. “I’m going to be close to the stage and it’s exciting.”

Dylan and his band are touring colleges and amphitheaters throughout the Midwest to promote the artist’s music and were brought to the Stroh Center by the American Red Cross.

Amanda Aldrich, communications specialist at the American Red Cross, said there were many things that went into getting Dylan to perform at the Stroh Center such as working with the musician’s agents, writing up press releases and getting interviews set up for the show.

“We found out he was interested in coming to the University and then we were looking for an act for fundraising for us,” Aldrich said. “Everything came together and it all just worked out.”

Los Angeles rock band Dawes will be opening up for Dylan on Sunday. Dawes is on tour with Dylan and his band for Dylan’s tour and to promote its recently released third studio album “Stories Don’t End.”

Griffin Goldsmith, drummer for Dawes, said he can’t believe his band was chosen to open up for Dylan, and he gets to see a great show every night as Dawes tours with Dylan and his band.

“It’s pretty surreal,” Goldsmith said. “We get to see the same show 20 times and it will never get old. It’s pretty incredible.”

Although there are less than 200 student tickets left for the concert, Aldrich said people should buy a ticket in advance. The show has worked out so well because of the partnership between the University and the American Red Cross, she said.

Tickets to see Bob Dylan for a student can be purchased with a student ID for $25 at the Stroh Center Box Office. The doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the concert will begin at 7:30 p.m.