Student pursues booking, promoting local bands to perform at One49 North

After quitting her job at Innovation Concerts in Toledo due to schoolwork, senior Andrea Borkowski decided she still wanted to host local music in Bowling Green.

Borkowski is hosting a local show at One49 North on Friday night with bands such as Lesson 22 and People Being Human set to perform as part of her plan to get the venue to become familiarized with a live music setting. The bar has hosted one live music concert, which was local band Forgetting Frank.

Borkowski said she tried to get the town’s downtown bars to try and become a community last summer where each bar would support each other by bringing live music to the venues, but was turned down.

However, One49 North decided to stay in contact with her because they were interested in pursuing her business bringing live music to play at the venue.

“It’s a new crowd that hasn’t been tapped into with live music yet with One49,” Borkowski said. “Live music is so important to me and it’s something that is underappreciated.”

Borkowski is hosting the show under the name Spinach Teeth Productions, a name she made with her friend in the hopes of starting her own promoting and booking company some day.

One of the main highlights about the show is that One49 North, Lesson 22, People Being Human and Borkowski are all helping each other out and working as a community. Lesson 22 helped Borkowski split the promotion costs for the show and is letting the bar use its sound equipment for the show since the place doesn’t have any equipment available for the band members to use.

Chris Kirk, guitarist for Lesson 22, said he and his band are happy to help Borkowski promote Spinach Teeth Productions by performing Friday night.

“We’re really excited and happy that Andrea thought of us to play,” Kirk said. “We’re always looking for a show to play at and to help her with Spinach Teeth Productions is great.”

Stephen Reid, junior, has known the members of Lesson 22 for three years and is a fan of their music. He said he’s excited for the show and that it’s different for the bands to be playing at One49 North.

“The bar is a very open atmosphere and it’s going to feel more like rock show compared to the other bar space,” Reid said. “The band’s music is very upbeat and they are just an awesome rock band.”

The show is set to begin at 9 p.m. and tickets are $5 per person. If people state who their favorite local band is at the front door, they will get in for $3 instead of $5, Borkowski said,

“It’s something that I’m trying to have a hand in revitalizing the local music scene where everyone can support each other,” she said. “We’re all collaborating and putting it together it’s not about making money or about being on stage. It’s about music, which is awesome.”