Local band connects to community through lyrics

When members of the Bowling Green band Dismantle think about their music, the word “community” is constantly thought of.

Dismantle is a hardcore band that consists of University students Sean Helbig, bassist, Matt Gruen, vocalist, Zack Porach, guitarist and Jake Murphy on drums. They recently released their EP, “In Stride” and Helbig and Gruen live in a place known as the BLV House, which hosts hardcore shows once every month.

Some of the bands who have performed in the house include Citizen, Light Years and The Fight Within.

In part of creating Dismantle, all of the members are fond of the DIY scene and helping other hardcore bands out with the projects created, Porach said. He likes to see his friends in other bands succeed in what they are doing and putting effort into their passions.

“The community of hardcore is amazing and it’s the sole reason why I play music,” Porach said. “The music is what ties our band together but the DIY aspect is the hugest part about it.”

Porach said each of the members met freshman year at the University and instantly became friends. Gruen and Helbig moved into the BLV house last year and decided to officially form Dismantle seven months ago, along with Porach and Murphy. All the members are still in schoolexcept for Murphy, who decided to drop out after winning $20,000 in the lottery.

“This is the one common ground that brought us together so I think school is a necessary catalyst for this band,” Porach said. “I don’t think it would be a possibility to be in school and not be in this band at the same time. They go hand in hand.”

Focusing on the band is difficult because three of the members are full time students and are working part time jobs. Murphy also plays in another local band from Toledo called East Highland, Helbig said.

“We flier and try to get the word out with Facebook events for shows but trying to juggle being in a band, running a house and going to school is hard,” Helbig said. “I try to present myself as hard working and I think DIY ethics represents that.”

The Fight Within has performed in the BLV house many different times and has known the members of Dismantle for several years. Mark Metzger, bassist and vocalist, said the hardcore local scene is as strong as ever and Dismantle “contribute to the community.”

“For them being in a band for a short period of time is definitely showing a lot of progress and it’s awesome to watch and to be a part of that,” Metzger said. “Their band has a lot of energy and I think they’re going to start getting recognition.”

Gruen is in charge of writing the lyrics for Dismantle and said he writes about the way he views things and that he can’t see the band playing any other type of music except for hardcore.

“This is the only place we fit in and everything else just doesn’t feel real,” Gruen said. “This feels real; this feels right.”