Seniors celebrated at Dr. Seuss-themed Ballroom party

Beyond+BG
Beyond BG

Celebrating graduating seniors on their accomplishments at the University, the Student Alumni Connection hosted a Dr. Seuss themed “Beyond BG” event open to faculty, staff and all students.

As part of the event, two scholarships were given out including “Once a Falcon, Always a Falcon,” given to a student who is continuing their education next year, and the “Outstanding Senior Award” featuring a nominated student who has shown a hard work ethic and heavy involvement with the University.

When senior Kyle Mann walked into the Union ballroom on Monday night, he saw activities such as putt-putt golf, caricature drawings and food set out for the public.

“I think this is a great way for people to come out and get involved,” Mann said. “My girlfriend was nominated for an award and this is a good way for people to show support for the nominees.”

Wade Rhoades, marketing chair for the Student Alumni Connection, said the entire event is to show appreciation for graduating seniors and to educate them more in-depth on his organization.

“We want people to get more information on where alumni chapters are and how these students can become involved in those chapters,” Rhoades said. “We just want people to have a good time and to just have fun.”

As the event was Dr. Seuss themed, there were stations set up where the author’s books were read out loud to people who attended. The night also featured a station called “One Fish, Two Fish” where people could attempt to count the number of fish in a bowl and a buffet for people to eat free of charge. Past years’ celebrations included an outer space theme, candy land and a carnival theme.

Carson Lance, graduate assistant in alumni and development, said the University just wants to provide a fun outlet for celebrating the success from the seniors and to thank the students for everything they have done. Usually the SAC hopes to have at least 300 people come out each year, but this year close to 400 were in attendance, Lance said.

“I’m loving the turnout this year,” Lance said. “Our marketing efforts has been superb for this event and we always try to make the event something into where the graduating senior feels like transitioning into a new role.”

Mann said he enjoyed all of the activities held at the event and he was happy he got involved.

“This is my first time coming to this event and I don’t know why because it’s been really fun,” Mann said.