Solis re-elected with less than 6% of undergraduates voting in USG election

Despite running unopposed for USG president, Alex Solis remained nervous throughout the campaign until he knew for sure.

The results are now official, and Solis will serve another term as the Undergraduate Student Government president, along with Vice President David Neely after the duo was re-elected.

“It’s an amazing feeling,” Solis said.” “I’m glad that we can keep working.”

Neely agreed.

“I’m honored to be re-elected,” he said. “We’ve been working hard … I never would’ve expected this from my academic career.”

USG Chief Administrator Evan Colyer announced the results to the lunch crowd in the Falcons’ Nest. Of the 32 senate positions, 24 have been filled for next term.

“Congratulations to everyone elected and congratulations to Alex and David on a second term,” Colyer said.

Students had a chance to vote for next fall’s student government president and vice president and the senate members this past week, despite all the positions being unopposed. 760 students voted, with 660 of those being counted, Colyer said. Erin Stevens, a junior, came to the announcements because her friend was running for the senate.

“I’m glad that they announced things during a busy lunch hour so more people will know about it,” Stevens said.

Solis’ re-election marks the first time a student has served two terms as president in 20 years. The last time was in 1993, when then-President Jason Jackson, along with first-time vice presidential running mate Chad Luckner, ran unopposed for his ’93-’94 school year, according to a February 1993 article in The BG News.

The new administration will be sworn in Monday at 6 p.m. at the same location. Following the swearing-in ceremony is an awards banquet at 7:30 p.m. in Union 201.

“It’s a good opportunity to reflect on the events of the year,” said outgoing-USG Speaker Melissa Dzienny. “This has been an absolutely productive year.”

At the ceremony, USG will hand out awards for senate member, advisor, executive member, cabinet member and student leader of the year. President Mary Ellen Mazey will also be in attendance.

The current USG had its final meeting this past Monday, during which the members took the time to thank their colleagues for the work they did this term. The transition between administrations will be quick, as the new members will have two meetings before semester’s end.

The first meeting of the new administration will be a week from Monday in the Union. During this meeting, the Senate will elect the new committee chairs, which includes academic affairs, auxiliary affairs, internal affairs and student affairs.

“I’m looking forward to next year, said Eric Juzkiw, who will serve as an off-campus senator next term. “I’m looking forward to see what kind of changed we can make.”

Solis wants to see the new administration “finish what we started this year,” and continue to make the student voice heard, he said.

“We’ll come back in office Monday more driven than ever,” Solis said.