Media review: Kingsfoil

Although it was no secret that most people showed up at Howard’s Club H Tuesday night to see Frankie Muniz, they at least got to listen to some good music while in the process of trying to catch a glimpse or a handshake.

Muniz, an actor best known for “Malcolm in the Middle” and “Agent Cody Banks,” recently joined the Pennsylvania-based band, Kingsfoil and the band made a last minute stop at Howard’s Tuesday night on their way from Columbus to a show in Romeo, Michigan.

“I’m over the acting thing right now,” Muniz said. “I love being a musician.”

More than 100 people showed up to the band’s performance and many stuck around after the show to take pictures with the band, get autographs and talk with band members.

The band started about eight years ago as a duo of the lead singer Jordan Davis and the piano and guitar player Tristan Martin, Davis said. The bass player, Tim Warren, joined about two years later and Muniz, the band’s drummer, joined just last year after the band’s original drummer left.

“Frankie came out and auditioned and did a great job, so that’s when he became part of the band,” Davis said.

Before Muniz joined the band, Kingsfoil was doing pretty well, Martin said. The band played with the Goo Goo Dolls and Stone Temple Pilots and has played at a lot of festivals.

Since Muniz joined last year, he said it’s been going even better.

“We’re just all on the same page and we have hit the road pretty hard,” Martin said.

After only a year of being with Kingsfoil, Muniz said he loves being part of the band.

“It’s been an awesome experience,” Muniz said. “I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

Sophomore Laney Buechner saw the event on Facebook, so she went to see Muniz. Although she had heard of Kingsfoil, she had not listened to their music.

“I don’t often see a lot of really good live bands, but they were really good and I liked them a lot,” Buechner said.

Seniors Dan Estrada and Keith Kanz were also at the show to see Kingsfoil.

“I loved it and I thought they were a really cool band,” Estrada said.

Kanz said that he was a little upset they had to play on such a small stage, but was also just glad that he got to see them in the intimate environment.

Both Estrada and Kanz said they would go watch Kingsfoil again if they came back to town.

Kingsfoil has been touring since the beginning of April and will continue on until June, Davis said.

Warren said being on tour has been awesome so far.

“It’s fun just to be somewhere new everyday,” he said.

As for Tuesday night’s show at Howard’s, the band said despite Warren’s backpack being stolen, it turned out great.

“The crowd had a great response,” Davis said. “For a Tuesday night, we feel really fortunate.”