Art festival features local businesses

Fashion shows, silent auctions and artist demonstrations are just a few of the things that will be happening downtown this weekend.

On Saturday, April 27 the 21st annual Downtown Bowling Green Art Walk will be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

People can expect a lot of variety downtown during the arts festival, said Barbara Ruland, director of Downtown Bowling Green.

There will be 25 sites where people can view different artists. Some of the things that will be found are photography, painting, multimedia, sculpture, performing arts and jewelry.

Ginny Stewart is the owner of Bowling Green Hats and Apparel and said she is most excited for the fashion show at Sam B’s.

“It takes place during the luncheon, it has two seating’s— one at 11 and another at 12:30 to showcase what the different stores have to offer,” she said.

The fashion show will showcase items from Coyote Beads and Jewelry, Bowling Green Hats and Apparel, Mosaic, For Keeps and art-a-site! Art gallery.

“The proceeds support scholarships to the women’s club for graduating students in high school, or non-traditional students,” Ruland said.

Another event going on is called Pots for Posies.

It’s a fundraiser being hosted at Grounds for Thought where flower pots decorated by local businesses will be placed in a silent auction, said Sandy Wicks, a member of the Art Walk committee.

“We are going to have 20 or maybe 21 pots this year,” she said. “All the money will go to buy the flowers used to fill the big pots downtown.”

Gayle Walterbach, the owner of Coyote Beads and Jewelry said she gets involved with the art walk because she wants to bring attention to what downtown has to offer.

“I love getting involved in the community,” she said. “The art walk is something I always enjoy doing. It brings a lot of people to the store.”

Coyote Beads and Jewelry will be hosting artist Sharon Brinker, who will be giving demonstrations on how to make glass beads, they will also have pieces of jewelry in the fashion show at Sam B’s.

Ruland said the art walk is held to make people more aware of what is available in downtown.

“Some people think that all there is to do downtown is drink, and that’s not true,” she said.

Wicks said students should come to the art walk because of the “wonderful, vibrant community” the city is, and the festival will show more of what downtown has to offer.

“It’s one more way of saying ‘Hey! Welcome to Bowling Green,’” she said.