Richaun Holmes led Falcons in scoring, blocks

Despite sophomore Richaun Holmes breaking the school’s all-time single-season blocks record, the Falcons fell to Mid-American Conference-leading Akron Zips 67-50 Saturday.

The Falcons started the game lacking offensive production, and did not score a field goal for the first eight and a half minutes until senior A’uston Calhoun scored the first field goal of the game.

The Falcons did not recover after the point drought in the beginning of the game. Akron led for the duration, eventually pushing the gap to 17 points by the end of the game.

Holmes broke the school’s single-season blocks record, which now stands at 62 thanks to Holmes’ four against Akron.

Holmes also led the team with points in the game with a career-high 15 points. He was one of two BG players who were able to reach double digits. Senior A’uston Calhoun scored 11 points, and was the only starter to reach double-digits.

“I think we competed for the most part,” said head coach Louis Orr. “I thought we hurt ourselves on second shots. They had 21 points on second-chance points … and we had a tough shooting night.”

Senior Jordan Crawford was held to six points and sophomore Chauncey Orr was held to four points.

The Falcons shot 24 percent during the first half, but came back and shot 41.4 percent, which was 1.4 percent better than Akron’s performance.

The Zips had four players reach double-figures in points including four of their five starters. Brian Walsh, Nick Harney, Alex Abreu and Zeke Marshal had 10, 13, 13 and 15 points respectively.

The Falcons will take a break from Mid-American Conference play following the loss to Akron. The team will host New Orleans this Thursday.