Holiday parade brings students, residents together

Numerous families bundled in coats and blankets lined Main Street early Saturday morning.

The Bowling Green Holiday Parade occurred this past Saturday downtown. The theme for the parade was “Santa’s Toy Box.”

Gerry Nwatkin, an international student at the University, wasn’t planning to go on the parade.

“I came to get a haircut,” Nwatkin said. “I didn’t even know this was going on.”

Other first-timers to the parade included Barbara and Danny Deakins from Garrettsville, Ohio.

“We come from a very small town,” Barbara said. “This is a great parade; people in our town would love this.”

Some students who attended the parade were involved with it during previous years.

Senior Eric Juzkiw was there supporting Not in Our Town, and some of the people in the organization walked in the parade.

“I walked in the parade my freshman year and volunteered my sophomore year,” Juzkiw said.

More than 40 floats and more than 140 businesses and organizations participated in the parade.

Susie Biller, of Tiffin, Ohio, has been coming to the parade for more than 14 years.

“My son was in the parade with Grand Rapids High School this year,” Biller said. “The parade is great. I always love it.”

Other community members also enjoy the parade every year.

“I’ve been coming to this parade for about over a dozen years or so,” said Roger Williams, a member of Power Yesteryear Tractors Club. “I come whenever I can make it.”

Power Yesteryear Tractors Club has been involved with the Holiday Parade for the past four or five years, Williams said.

During the parade, more people were outside lined up along the street rather than lined up in the stores.

“We don’t really get a lot of business during the parade,” said Ginni Stewart, owner of Bowling Green Hats and Apparel. “But it’s not a bad thing; people are out enjoying the parade with friends and family.”

The crowd outside usually finds its way into the shops along Main Street once the parade ends.

“Our business day usually starts after the parade,” Stewart said. “So it always works out.”

The Bowling Green Chamber of Commerce sponsored the event. The parade lasted from 10 a.m to 12 p.m.

The cold weather did not keep community members from coming out to enjoy the festivities.

“This isn’t really the nicest weather but it isn’t too bad,” Williams said. “The kids seem to really enjoy it.”