Men’s basketball hosts Malone in exhibition game

Coming off their closed exhibition game at Owens College against Eastern Kentucky University, the men’s basketball team will look to end the preseason on a good note Saturday.

The Falcons will be playing Malone University for their last tune up before their regular season kicks off.

“The chemistry [at Owens College] was great. We got the chance to see how the substitutes meshed well together,” sophomore Spencer Parker said. “I think we are looking good going into the future.”

This year the Falcons will be playing with a more balanced attack instead of focusing on just one or two primary scorers. Players like Parker, JD Tisdale and Josh Gomez will be looked upon to produce coming off the bench this year.

“We will get contributions much deeper and bigger from just our starting five,” head coach Louis Orr said. “Parker can score and is very good at attacking the basket and he can play multiple positions.”

There is depth through every position this year for the Falcons, but inside is where they are more versatile. There are starters like Cameron Black, Richuan Holmes and role players Gomez and Garret Mayleben. Gomez is a transfer athlete from Iona College where he recorded 10 points, nine rebounds and three blocks in 48 minutes played.

With the addition of Gomez and Mayleben that gives the Falcons four players taller than 6’9”.

“We have four guys 6’9” or better,” Orr said. “It is a benefit when you utilize size. Playing big is not always an asset unless your size can be that asset.”

Their size inside will come into play even more this year because of the emphasis handchecking and officials calling the game tighter on perimeter. The depth with inside will help them when players get into foul trouble early, Orr said. The coaches have been working with the perimeters players on playing defense without their hands in practice this year.

“The rule effects us a lot,” guard Anthony Henderson said. “Our whole life we have been able to handcheck, but coach has been doing well adjusting us to it in practice.”

The Falcons will be without senior Craig Sealey for yet another game and as of now there is no timetable set for his return. According to Orr, Sealey will be back in the lineup when he is ready.

“It’s not just being healthy it’s getting in shape and being able to work on your game,” he said.

The Falcons will look to improve and keep getting better Saturday against Malone.

“We have a talented team,” Orr said. “I expect us to continue to grow, we have to continue to get better defensively. We are a work in progress so, we don’t have to play like MAC champs for me to be happy.”