Annual dinner to celebrate global cultures

The World Student Association will host its annual International Dinner this Sunday from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Union Ballroom.

The event will include a buffet dinner of international food and seven ethnic dance and musical performances from University students.

“Everybody’s really pumped about this dinner because all the performers are really good and really diverse,” said Cuilin Ge, USG representative for the World Student Association.

The theme for this year’s dinner is global friendship.

“Our theme this year is to show friendship around the world and how it doesn’t matter where you’re from or who you are but more of how we can all get along and have a global friendship,” said Semhare Gebre, vice president of programs for the World Student Association.

A photo slideshow of international University alumni will be played while dinner is being served so students can see their friends who have returned to their home countries, Ge said.

There will also be a fashion show featuring ethnic clothing typically worn for weddings, holidays and special occasions, Gebre said.

“The fashion show is our tradition to have our members and our students wear traditional clothes from around the world and basically to showcase the clothes and the culture” said Kobe Huynh, president of the World Student Association.

Attendants can also have their photos taken wearing some of the ethnic outfits, Ge said.

“All the guests, if they’re willing to experience really cultural dress, can go there and pick a couple outfits they want to put on and then we can take pictures for them and put them on Facebook,” she said.

A silent auction will also take place during the dinner and doors will open at 5:30 p.m. so people can view the auction tables, Ge said.

“We have a lot of really, really good cultural items this year,” she said.

Tickets are $15 and will be sold outside the Union Ballroom before the event starts.