“Justin Inspires” spoke to BGSU students, faculty about diversity

An estimated 500 students, faculty and staff flocked to the Union Ballroom to hear a speaker talk about the topic of diversity.

The high energy, interactive talk had students running around the ballroon, hugging the people next to them while saying “you look good.”

Justin Jones-Fosu, who is also known as Justin Inspires spoke about diversity, and how the general meaning of diversity is very limited.

“I am convinced we have diversity wrong,” Jones-Fosu said. “Diversity is not everybody holding hands and singing kumbayah. [It’s] not everybody hugging and chanting ‘Unity, Unity.’”

He said when people think about diversity they often think of the small sections of it such as race, religion and sexual orientation, but it is so much more than that.

“Diversity at it’s simplest form is difference,” Jones-Fosu said.

As well as stressing diversity, Jones-Fosu told people the importance of not being just like everyone else.

Kerry Jones, the director of Student Athlete Services said the University Atheletes all came out for the event.

There is one speaker event the athletes always attend, and she said the topic of it varies.

She said the event is good for the University, and helps with diversity issues.

“It is important to see the community come together as an inclusive environment,” she said.

There is a great deal of importance for students to come out to events such as this.

“It’s better that we talk about these things, and not just say ‘oh thats okay,’” Kerry said.

Freshman Christina Steward said the event is an important thing for students to hear and learn about.

“It informs people about diversity, and how to deal with it,” she said.

Overall, Steward said the event was “really good,” and that Jones-Fosu got his point across very well to the audience members.

Senior Courtney Love, the External Vice President for Delta Xi Phi, said the racially charged tweets that happened early Monday morning did not come as a surprise to her.

“Everytime there is a multicultural event, something like this happens,” she said.

She said the comments, although negative, can help promote a message.

“It’s wonderful, you can bring it to the community and nip it in the bud,” Love said. “It’s just a matter of saying ‘thats not okay.’”

Junior Grai’Nisha Pierce, the scholarship chair for Delta Xi Phi, said diversity is something they value, and is something that people need to experience.

“Diversity is a huge part of everyones lives,” she said. “You can’t experience the world until you experience a diverse background.”