Magician performs illusions, talks about faith

It’s not every day that someone gets to pull a nail out of someone else’s face.

However, that’s exactly what an attendant of the Maze Magic Show got to do in a show that took place in the Union Ballroom on Wednesday night, hosted by Jim Munroe and sponsored by CRU.

Some students went to the show not knowing what to expect.

Sophomore Aaron Wells didn’t know what was going to happen, but said he liked magic shows.

“I have a great time watching it,” he said. “I have a great time figuring out how they really do it.”

Munroe drew some students in by performing at the Oaks earlier that day. Sophomore Kailey Kallen saw him at The Oaks, which made her want to see his show at the Union.

“I look forward to having my mind blown with magic,” she said.

Students filled the ballroom, waiting for the show to start while quotes about faith, reality and existentialism displayed on a projector.

Throughout the show, Munroe chose participants from the audience by throwing a teddy bear. Volunteers helped Munroe pull things such as nails and floss out of his body.

Alumnus Ann Hayward, who works for CRU, has been a fan of Munroe for years and first saw his show her sophomore year of college.

Hayward enjoys Munroe’s skill as an illusionist.

“I just think it’s really impressive that he’s able to trick your senses,” Hayward said.

Hayward also likes the fact that the show makes one think while also entertaining.

“They just do a great job of both entertaining and also providing a lot of thought-provoking ideas,” she said.

Hayward said students can talk about those ideas with members of CRU and other students after the show.

Halfway through the show, Munroe gave attendants a chance to leave the show. This was because that is when Munroe blends his illusions with religion, and more specifically, his belief in Christianity.

While he did talk about it during the event, he said he only does so if asked and allows people to leave if they don’t feel comfortable with such concepts.

“If you don’t want to hear about it, if you don’t want to talk about it, if you don’t want to listen, I totally understand,” Munroe said. “So I give them an opportunity to leave … We’re not here to get up on a soapbox.”

Munroe mentioned a specific example where The Arbiter Online wrote a piece about how the Maze show was “deceiving” attendants.

“I don’t want anyone to think they got tricked,” Munroe said.

Despite this issue, Munroe enjoys performing magic and likens it to an art.

“I’m kind of a quirky guy and I think it’s a great art,” he said.