Homecoming sees return of bed races

Bed+races
Bed races

Students can show their homecoming spirit this Thursday without having to get out of bed.

Residence life is hosting a bed race as a homecoming event, which involves teams of five pushing a modified residence hall bed on wheels toward the finish line as one teammate rides it.

“It’s something that Residence Life thought was a way to help build up friendly competition for homecoming,” said Jennifer Goddard, coordinator for Leadership and Administration in the office.

The race will take place from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Lot N, between the Jerome Library, Wolfe Center and Anderson Arena.

Teams that win first place, show the most spirit or have the best costumes will win homecoming items such as pennants or cowbells, Goddard said. Currently, there are 12 teams signed up.

Brandon Swope, president of Resident Student Association, is one of the students racing in the event.

“This is something I have gotten to have some behind the scenes look at as RSA president … and I’ve been excited to participate in,” Swope said.

Swope said he saw a trial race and that “it looked like a lot of fun to ride on a bed.”

“I’m looking forward to seeing residents across campus and off campus to come together,” he said. “I hope it becomes an annual event.”

Goddard and Residence Life share Swope’s hopes that bed races stick around.

“We wanted to find a way to build homecoming traditions and make it resonate with students when they become alumni,” Goddard said.

While this is the first year Residence Life is hosting the race, it is nothing new to the University.

Pi Kappa Tau hosted the race from 1965 to around 1977, said Chris Bullins, associate dean of students in the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

“I’m very excited about Residence Life bringing back the bed races because years ago it was a popular activity,” Bullins said.

Bullins said the races also coincide with this year’s theme: “Let the Good Times Roll Along.”

“There’s a little bit of irony there because it’s a play on words but … the theme is to connect to the historical past and bringing back something that was popular decades ago is very appropriate,” he said.