University students perform in BG’s Best Talent Show

BG’s Best Talent Show

Faculty, staff and students alike came to Olscamp to see the BG’s Best Talent Show Wednesday night.

Freshman Marcus Bates was one of the many students to watch the show and was excited about the performances.

“I’m really excited, one of my friends is in it,” Bates said.

Students were greeted at the door by some of the coordinators who put on the event.

“Putting the show together was a challenge, but a lot of fun,” said sophomore Kaylyn Messenger, a coordinator for the talent show. “My committee was awesome.”

The planning and coordinating began long before Homecoming week, Messenger said.

“We have been planning Homecoming week in general since April,” she said. “We have been having meetings and planning since then.”

The performers were screened before they were chosen to perform in the show and consisted of a diverse groups.

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. were the first to perform in the show and it involved them stepping.

“Being in the show was really fun,” said Iesha Mitchell, a senior and a member of Delta Sigma Theta Inc., “It was an honor that we were asked to be a part of it.”

Later into the show, freshman Alexes Shears performed two poems.

The first poem she performed was called “Ashes” and the second poem was “Black Girl,” written by Kai Davis, which received many different reactions from the audience.

“The second poem received some mixed reactions at first,” said Shears. ”I think they didn’t understand at first, but towards the end they seemed to see the true meaning of the poem.”

Another performer in the show was junior Mariah Parker, who played the piano to the song “If I Ain’t got you” by Alicia Keys.

BG’s Best Talent Show was some of the groups’ first performance of the year.

“This is our first performance this year as a team,” said Tianna Hunter, a junior and member of Element Dance Team, “We rehearsed for a week or two and really got the chance to bond with some of the other groups.”

The talent show consisted of 17 performers.

After the show, some audience members were pleased with the quality of the performances.

“I was very excited to see the Deltas perform,” said senior Cory Jackson. “I’m friends with them so I came to support them.”