Dining services answer questions posed by students

The student government spoke with dining services Monday night, discussing different issues students have with the current system.

Mike Paulus, dining services director, was asked questions by the Undergraduate Student Government about different topics that ranged from the farmers market to a new commuter plan.

Student Affairs Chair Nic Puccio asked Paulus about making healthier options cheaper for on campus students.

“They are not cheaper to make,” Paulus said during the speech.

The ingredients typically cost more for the University to buy for healthier food than unhealthy food, he said.

Another question was asked by Internal Affairs Chair Eric Juzkiw, talking about how students liked the farmers markets that came to the University.

“Maybe we can do a two day run in the future,” Paulus said.

USG President Alex Solis said Paulus works to meet the students’ needs.

“He is very transparent,” he said. “And what Paulus does, his job really, is to get the students what they need.”

Along with Paulus, Graduate Student Senate President Lingxiao Ge came and spoke about GSS and what they do for the student body.

“GSS is the bridge between graduate students and others in the University,” Ge said during the meeting.

The last group to come and present to USG was the fraternity Phi Beta Sigma. They were asking for funding from USG to help them take a trip to the Centennial Convention for their national fraternity.

“The fraternity was founded 100 years ago, and going to this summer convention will greatly help us and the University,” members of the fraternity said during the meeting. “The stuff we learn, we can bring back and use in a positive way.”

They are raising funds to go, but are looking for help in other places like USG, the members said.

“It’s interesting,” Solis said. “Those men are really great leaders on campus.”

Although they won’t be funding more than $500, Solis thinks they will be giving them some money after he discusses it with his peers.

The next meeting will be Monday, November 4 at 7:30 in room 308 Union. Director of the Union Patrick Nelson will be speaking next week to USG about the Union.