BGSU Wolfe Viewing Center provides opportunity for students to screen films

The Ralph H. Wolfe Video Viewing Center opened three years ago and is open for students to use whenever, free of charge.

The center is named after Ralph Haven Wolfe, professor emeritus of English and Gish professor of Film Studies, and is located in Hannah Hall.

The viewing center was designed for students to have the opportunity to screen films.

“There’s no other place on campus where that can be done,” said Brett Holden, assistant professor of theater and film.

Current and previous faculty members donated videos and film to the viewing center’s collection.

The viewing center contains more than 4,000 donated films. There are 15 viewing carrels, each with its own television and DVD player.

Each carrel has its own 22-inch flat panel display, and each student is presented with their own remote control and headset.

Years of planning went into creating the viewing center, Holden said.

“We spent two years planning the space with the Buehrer group,” Holden added.

Even though the center has been open for three years, some students were unaware of the viewing center.

“I never heard of it,” said senior Leigh Anne Markaity. “but I would possibly go there to study [and learn more].”

Other students know the viewing center exists, but have not taken advantage of it.

“I haven’t been in the viewing center, but I walk past it everyday,” said senior Mariah Butts.“I think it’s a cool idea, but usually I watch movies with a group of people, not by myself.”

Students have to be enrolled at the University to use the viewing center and must present their student I.D. to the desk receptionist. Afterwards they can request a film from the reserve and watch it on site.

“It is also a great place to study,” Holden said. “It’s quiet and spacious. There are power outlets in each station so students can charge their laptops.”

The viewing center is funded by the private donations.

The center is in room 102 across the hall from the Gish Film Theater.

The viewing center is open Monday, Tuesday and Friday from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m, and Wednesday and Thursday from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m.

“We’d like to see more people using the space,” Holden said. “It’s not just for film majors.”