BGSU Volleyball goes through ‘deja vu’ in the Golden Dome Invitational

The BG volleyball team fell to a season record of 1-4 after losing to 22nd-ranked Purdue in three sets. The Falcon volleyball team finished the Golden Dome Invitational on Sunday winless in three games.

“It was a déjà vu of [The Hampton Inn Invitational],” coach Danijela Tomic said. “We were competitive, but fell apart at the end of each set.”

Of the three games the team played this weekend, Purdue and the home team, Notre Dame’s games went towards their season record. In game one of the Invitational against Notre Dame, the Falcons were playing from behind early as they lost the first set 28-26. They battled back to win the second set 25-20 and even up the match. Notre Dame would win the next the last two sets with a score of 25-19 in the third set and 25-13 in the fourth and final set. Kaitlyn Skinner recorded eight blocks along with six kills as well during this game. Ashley Dunn led the falcons with 20 digs and Paige Penrod was second in digs with 13.

Against the No. 22 ranked Purdue Boilermakers, the Falcons would fail to win a set, as they lost a close first set 27-25, the second set 25-23 and the third and final set 25-16. Laura Avila led the falcons with 13 assists and 10 digs throughout the match.

“We have had the toughest schedule so far that any BGSU team has played,” Tomic said. “The teams we play will make us stronger, all we need is confidence in ourselves now.”

Tomic said Kaitlyn Skinner, the teams starting middle, played well defensively and had a great defensive game against Notre Dame.

The Falcons also played a non-NCAA professional Polish team called Dabrowa. The Falcons lost in three sets, and only reached past the teens in points in the third and final set.

Tomic said the team was far superior to the Falcons, so she used this match as an opportunity to let everyone play to gain experience.

“[Dabrowa] was a great experience, they had players who have played longer than our players have been alive.” Tomic said the team had former Olympians and a Brazilian gold medalist.

Setter Laura Avila was named to the All-Tournament team. She finished the tournament with 55 assists and 22 digs.

The Falcons will take on the Inntowner Invitational at Milwaukee. There, they will face Milwaukee Friday, Sept. 13, 4:30 p.m., Kansas Saturday, Sept. 14, 1 p.m., and the host Wisconsin Saturday, Sept. 14, 7 p.m.