Kenyan Ambassador visits University, speaks at forum

ANBENES

Jean Njeri Kamau speaking about internships in Kenya.

University President Mary Ellen Mazey introduced the Kenyan Ambassador for the United States, Jean Njeri Kamau, at the Union Thursday.

Kamau visited the University to talk about the relations between Kenya and the United States.

In attendance was Mayor Dick Edwards, President Mazey along with other administrators, students and faculty.

“This is the first of what we hope is many in a series we are calling the Global Engagement Speaker Series,” Mazey said.

Kamau touched on why going to Kenya for internships and co-ops is a good opportunity for students.

“I am here to talk to you about strengthening a link between Kenya and Bowling Green State University,” Kamau said. “Having a link with Bowling Green would be beneficial for Kenya and for Bowling Green.”

She said there are many opportunities for students who want to work abroad.

“We have along history of sending Kenyans to the U.S. for education,” she said.

Outside of the opportunities that can be offered through internships and co-ops, Kamau also talked about the sites that can be seen in Kenya.

She mentioned that Kenya is the home of The Big 5, the nickname given to the most deadly mammals in Africa that includes lions, elephants, rhinos, buffalo and leopards. The country is also home to one of the seven new wonders of the world: the running of the wildebeest.

Other topics of note included relations with China, the economy and safety concerns for travelers.

Kamau also spent the day talking to small groups of students as well as talking to the Deans of Colleges.

Senior Eric Lundy said he attended the event because he was interested to hear the ambassador speak, and he is interested in international travel.

“I was interested to hear her official opinions on U.S.[and] Kenya relations,” he said.

Freshman Alexus Johnson, a member of the global village, said she decided to come because it is a rare opportunity.

“It’s not everyday an Ambassador speaks here,” she said.

Johnson said after hearing the speech given by Kamau she left with a greater understanding of Kenya.

“It really opened my eyes,” she said.