University continues push to remain ‘green’ through waste reduction, 3 part strategy

The Office of Campus Sustainability is advocating a “campus sustainability strategy” as they strive to continue to be a green University.

This year, the office will implement many new changes that all revolve around this plan.

“This plan has three main goals that each project we are working on will fall into,” said Nick Hennessy, sustainability coordinator in the Office of Campus Sustainability.

The three-part strategy consists of the reduction of emissions, waste reduction and resource conservation, and sustainability education, outreach and awareness.

“The most important is probably goal number three because educating others is key when putting our projects into action,” Hennessy said. “The other two goals will fall into place.”

Senior Natosha Lilliard said educating the student body more is a great start.

“I think it would be cool to inform students on how much things we waste per day like food, electricity and water to help us make more cautious decisions,” Lilliard said. “Make students aware of the consequences that would happen if we don’t start to be more cautious.”

Senior Kali Gibbons is a supporter of all the green efforts.

“I always use the water fountain refill systems because I don’t want to spend the money buying plastic water bottles all the time,” Gibbons said. “It’s so convenient when I have classes all day.”

While the Office of Campus Sustainability has spent a lot of time with reduction of emissions, which is goal number one, Hennessy said each goal in the plan interrelates to one desired outcome, more community interaction to help reach these goals to save money for everyone.

Lilliard also believes it is important for students to promote a greener campus because, “it will create a better environment, which is better for everyone,” she said.

“I think it’s important for us to explore other sources to be more green,” Hennessy said.

Even though projects Hennessy’s office worked on in previous years have gone as planned, he said there are always ways to improve.

We have to consider how much time goes into a project and “we are expanding more than retracting,” Hennessy said.

The department is looking into partnering and collaborating more with other companies to network.

“We realize that we need partnerships from other departments, companies or organizations in order to make our projects happen,” Hennessy said. “It’s something we value.”

SUSTAINABILITY PROJECTS TO BEGIN OR CONTINUE THIS YEAR:

—Friday Night Lights, where students flip the light switches in buildings around campus during the weekends.

—Green Tailgating, where each person tailgating is handed a green recycling bag to fill to help reduce waste.

—Water bottle refill systems

—Green Office Certified, where offices change certain things around that consider them environmentally friendly and are approved by the Office of Sustainability.

—Student internships and volunteers, students can work for the Campus of Sustainability to help put these plans into action.