BG Men’s basketball drops the ball

Despite having two players score 21 points a piece, BG lost to Miami 63-60 on Wednesday and BG will try to regroup before they travel to Buffalo on Saturday to take on the Bulls at 7 p.m.

Seniors A’uston Calhoun and Jordan Crawford each scored 21 points but the Falcons did not have much help from its bench. The bench scored a total of eight points, six of which were from sophomore Richaun Holmes. Senior Luke Kraus played 26 minutes of the 40-minute game but only scored two points during his time on the floor.

Even though the Falcons lost, it had one of its best games shooting percentage wise — BG shot 57.8 percent and the starting five made 22 of 37 shots during the game.

“Statistically, we played pretty well,” Head Coach Louis Orr said. “But the problem is when you’re not stopping guys, and you go through a drought … And you don’t score, then the game, especially on the road, stops being in your favor.”

Holmes was pretty silent during the game on defense. He only blocked one Miami shot the whole game which marks one of his season lows. Holmes fell to No. 19 nationally in blocks per game (2.75) and is now tied at No. 21 nationally in total blocks with 44. He is tied with Buffalo’s Javon McCrea, Georgia State’s James Vincent and Southeast Missouri’s Nino Johnson.

The 6-10 (1-2) Falcons travel to Buffalo Saturday to take on the Bulls, who are struggling this season with a record of 5-12 (0-3).

Buffalo nearly defeated Miami this past Saturday but their 19-0 run against the Redhawks proved to not be enough to give the Bulls the win and lost 58-57.

In Buffalo’s other two Mid-American Conference games, they were defeated by Ohio 86-68 and Kent State 80-68.

Buffalo’s five wins came before the start of the new year. They defeated Evansville 56-50 in the NABC Coaches vs. Cancer Classic on Nov. 15; they defeated Milwaukee 72-52 on Dec. 5 and Niagara 77-67 on Dec. 8. The Bulls also defeated Division II members Mansfield University of Pennsylvania 76-57 on Nov. 24 and Notre Dame College (OH) 84-64 on Dec. 28.