New Choir, Voices at BGSU added to campus

Students, faculty and community members will have a chance to experience a different type of music.

Voices at BGSU is a new choir on campus that focuses on singing spirituals.

“Spirituals are songs that were sung back in the day, primarily in the time of slavery,” said Christopher Carter, president of Voices. “Within these songs there usually holds a message, so they were often used as a way of communication.”

The songs bring a sense of unity and encouragement, Carter, a freshman, said.

They have definitely helped keep Carter encouraged, he said.

“In 2006 I lost my sister,” Carter said. “I always remembered she loved singing and I was always inspired by what she liked to do.”

Carter has been in choir since High School and has prior experience when it comes to multitasking.

“By my senior year I was president of all the choirs,” Carter said. “ I wanted to try that here.”

Carter was encouraged to start the choir by his high school counselor.

“I came here and found out that they didn’t sing spirituals,” Carter said, ”So that’s when I decided to start my own choir.”

However, some students on campus are not familiar with spirituals.

“I haven’t really heard of of them before, but I think it would be something good to have on campus,” said Tabitha DiBacco, a freshman. “That’s what I love about college, you get so many diverse opportunities.”

Other students are familiar with spirituals and think that it would bring something new and different to campus.

“I think it really brings back a sense of history,” said Meresa McKesson, a senior. “Having the choir on campus would give younger generations a chance to appreciate it.”

The choir was created this semester in October. It now has 45 members from diverse backgrounds and majors.

To gain members, Carter put notifications on Orgsync and on social networking sites. He specifically reached out to people who had little to no singing experience.

“You don’t need to have experience to join our choir,” Carter said, ”Let your voice lead the way.”

They are working on collaborations with the University’s Gospel Choir and Sterling House Senior Citizen Home and Woodlane.

They are also working on getting more funding from the University for equipment and uniforms.

Voices at BGSU can be contacted through their Orgsync. Practices are on Sundays from 6 to 8 pm. and the location varies. Contact Carter for more information.

“I know we’re small but we are doing it,” Carter said, “We are always looking for new members!”