Partnership to allow students not accepted to University to take classes from Owens on campus, transition to University

A new partnership is in progress to start the 2014-2015 school year.

Due to the University being more selective, some students do not meet admission standards. However, the new partnership may give these students a chance to attend the University while taking Owens Community College classes, said Rodney Rogers, senior vice president of academic affairs and provost.

“With some appropriate support and some other coursework, we believe they may be admissible to Bowling Green at a later date,” he said. “Owens could very well be delivering a transitional program.”

Students who apply to the University but do not meet the requirements may be approached by Owens Community College with this new opportunity.

Students can live on the University campus and participate in the different events and organizations, but be taking Owen’s classes that are taught by instructors from Owens.

The program is currently expected to be a year’s worth of classes that will transfer directly to the University.

Rogers said the partnership will give students a “seamless transition” to the University.

When students pay tuition for the program they will pay the tuition for the University that is offering the classes, Rogers said.

If students are taking classes from Owen’s they will be paying Owen’s tuition and if they take classes from the University they will be paying University prices.

The University is following in the footsteps of other colleges in the state that offer similar programs.

One of the reasons for expanding with more partnerships is to continue to serve the surrounding communities and develop the University in more of Northwest Ohio.

“We are looking to serve a different geographical population,” Rogers said.

The Firelands campus will not be affected by this partnership; it will remain as it is.

“Firelands serves Sandusky, Huron and the Northeastern part of Ohio,” Rogers said. “We want to continue to serve that region and have a partnership. We’re not trying to compete.”

Owens Community College was chosen for this partnership because it is the largest community college in Northwestern Ohio, and it reaches into two geographic areas: Findlay and Toledo, Rogers said.

“The other community colleges don’t have as far of a reach,” he said.

Owens Community College was contacted about the story, but declined to comment until the partnership is solidified.

Students have mixed opinions about the partnership.

Junior Madi Perrucci said she thinks the partnership is a good thing.

“I think that gives students a good opportunity and the opportunity to be on a state campus,” she said.

Perrucci said if she had this opportunity given to her she would have been grateful for the chance.

“It would seem like you were a BG student,” she said. “I would be really grateful; I came to BG for the opportunities and the big campus.”

However, junior Kyle Wandel feels differently about the partnership.

“I would have been disappointed and looked for somewhere else to go,” he said.

Wandel said one of the big concerns he could see would be the housing and that students may find more issues with getting the housing they want.