“Vagina Monologues” spreads message of empowerment

“Angry Vagina” was one of the performances at the Vagina Monologues this weekend.

The empowerment of women was the message behind this weekend’s performances of “The Vagina Monologues.”

The campus organization Feminist Organization Raising Consciousness and Empowerment helped host the show, which included more than 15 monologues performed by 34 women from the University.

Before the show, the all-female A capella group The Fermatas performed and art by female students was displayed. All proceeds made by the show were donated to the Cocoon Shelter, the county’s only battered women’s shelter.

The monologues covered topics such as rape, prostitution, sex, transgender, birth and the stigmas women face about sexuality.

Junior Ashley Ross liked that the show was not too dark while discussing some of these topics.

“I like how they used humor for serious situations,” Ross said. “They made it very relevant to women.”

One of the most humorous monologues, according to both audience members and performers, was a monologue called “Angry Vagina.”

“My vagina is angry,” began the performer, who went on to deliver a rant about issues that women deal with everyday including tampons, “feminine scents,” thongs and the stigma that all women are over-emotional.

The last monologue performed, which took on a more serious note, was called “An Invitation to Stand” and invited members of the audience to stand if they or someone they knew had been affected by sexual assault.

Senior Katie Franklin, a coordinator for the event, said she hoped that the monologue would help people feel that they are not alone.

“I hope that women and people in general start to feel a sense of community where they previously felt alienated,” Franklin said.

Sophomore Candace Roane, director of the event, wanted people to feel the need to do something to help other women after seeing the show.

“I want people to feel empowered, to take action, to take those next steps to make violence end,” Roane said.

Sophomore Natalie Wilson was a first time performer in this year’s show.

“I was not comfortable … hearing those words come out of my mouth,” she said. “It is easier to do [something like this] with people you love, you need to get comfortable with the message.”

Wilson said the experience has impacted the way she sees her friends and herself.

“I am doing this with my two best friends and I like seeing them stand for what I stand for, they are all strong, wonderful women,” she said.

Franklin said the show included new pieces, like “I am an Emotional Creature” while putting a new spins on old pieces, like “Vagina Workshop.”

“I hope women find a little more self love and a little more love for women,” Franklin said.